The blog of the Penn Cycling team, 2nd place in ECCC D1 and the Ivy League in 2010!

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Saddle bag wallet: What to carry with you on rides

We always tell folks to carry ID and cash just in case when they ride, but I learned the hard way once when I was stranded without any money how helpful it can be to make sure you're not only carrying the usual (tubes, water, etc.), but that you bring the right things from your wallet, as well.

Different folks carry different things, but I am kind of lazy, so I keep a permanent "saddle bag wallet" in my bag so that I don't have to always pack and repack it (invariably forgetting something). Take a look and I hope it gives ideas to others. Feel free to add comments on other things you carry with you at the end.

TONY'S SADDLE BAG WALLET SUGGESTION
(Paper clipped together in the saddle bag pocket)

  • Drivers License - Laminated copy
    It's important to have ID with you any time that you ride, but I always fear either A) losing the original or B) forgetting it in my bike bag when I need it later, so I keep a laminated copy
  • Penn Card - Laminated copy
    Much like the drivers license, the Penn Card is helpful in case of emergency. In the case of a bad accident, the hospital will contact the university if they know you're a student, so this is a major help
  • Spare credit card
    I leave a rarely-used Visa card in my saddle bag for unexpected expenses. This saved me when I had to unexpectedly replace a tire & tube at a bike shop in the middle of the Cape Cod Rail Trail and was 20 miles from my hotel. It's also handy in case of emergency, since Philly cabs are equipped with credit card scanners.
  • $20 cash
    For any unexpected expenses (most often: lunch), it always helps to have cash. This is also helpful if you're far from campus, have a problem, and need to take a SEPTA Regional Rail home.
  • SEPTA token
    It's Philly... You should always have a SEPTA token just in case you have a problem and need to get on a SEPTA bus, trolley or metro train
  • iPhone - in Ziplock baggie
    The most important thing I have on my ride is my iPhone. Whether I need emergency help (phone), get lost (GPS mapping), am hungry (Yelp application), bored waiting for somebody to fix a flat (Angry Birds game), or need email connectivity to the school project that I am ignoring to go ride in the first place, it's important to have the iPhone. Just keep your phone in a little bag to make sure it doesn't get any moisture from sweat or fall in a puddle, though! (Note: the iPhone is the only thing I take in/out of the bag, and I leave the other stuff there)

    Note: Some folks point out that you're not supposed to make copies of your license or Penn Card. Phooey. If I'm in an accident and need the ID, that's the least of my worries...

What else do you guys carry in your saddle bags? Feel free to chime in with thoughts and advice for others!

No comments:

Post a Comment